Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

IT SEEMS LIKE YESTERDAY

 












     Thirty years ago today Steve and I were married.  This morning I mentioned that it sure didn't seem like it had been thirty years.  He agreed.  Thirty years ago we were 19 years old!  Now we have three sons older than we were when we married.  Thirty years ago we were both sophomores at UTC.  When I look back at the commitment we made to each other I am amazed at what God can do.  Without knowing Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior, somehow we had the sense to decide that divorce would never be an option - no matter what.  
     Marriage is not easy, and anyone who says different is either not married or crazy.  Love is not a feeling and no one has the power to change anyone.  I heard a man speaking on marriage once who said that in any relationship, especially marriage, if both parties committed to give 100% to the relationship, each one might be giving 50% in reality.  How true.  The older I grow the more God shows me about what is really important.  Am I the most important person - even in my world?  Should my children be more important than anything to me?  Should Steve be number one?  God continually shows me that if I keep Him in the number one place and realize that I am really, truly not the center of any universe, then I am happier.  If everything we do is done to glorify the One who should be kept at the center, Jesus Christ, then contentment is obtainable.
     I have been truly blessed in my marriage.  Steve Corley loves me know matter what.  He loves me when I am hateful.  He loves me when I'm angry.  He loves when when I'm loving to him, and he loves me when I'm not so lovable.  He loved me when I was skinny; and he loves me now that I'm fat.
     I truly believe that Steve would do whatever is within his power to make me happy.  He is a great husband and a great dad who is a wonderful example of what a godly man should be to our sons. 
     Happy Anniversary, Steve!  I love you.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

what a sweet post and inspiring words! Can we had to the list of Steve's greatness that he is also a great uncle? He's always so easy to talk to and visit with and always smiling! Happy Anniversary you two! Hope you were able to spend some special time together!

Meagan said...

Would you quit writing posts that make me teary eyed! lol. Just kidding! That was a wonderful post and a wonderful reminder that God has to be at the center of our world and at the center of all our relationships! I love the saying, "A family that prays together, stays together." :-) We do a lot of praying! :-) Happy Anniversary!

Valerie said...

My two girls said it all. Happy Anniversary to you two. Hope you enjoy this stay-cation this week!