Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Iron House - Why You Need to Read It

     Okay, I promised a more complete review of this book in my previous "teaser."  Two brothers are abandoned and end up in a poorly run orphanage named Iron House where the biggest, meanest kids run everything.  The adult supervision is minimal.  One brother is strong and confident, the other weak and sickly.  Michael spends the first ten years of his life trying to protect his brother Julian from abuse.  Then Julian kills the biggest bully while protecting himself and Michael takes the blame and runs away.
     Julian is adopted and raised by a wealthy senator while Michael lives on the streets of New York City until a mob boss 'rescues' him and raises him as his son.  The two have no contact until Michael falls in love and decides to leave the 'business'.  His fellow criminals threaten everyone and everything he loves to prevent him from leaving.  When he checks on his brother he finds that old classmates of theirs from the orphanage have been discovered dead on the Senators property and Julian is the chief suspect.
     Julian's mother will do anything to protect him.  The story of family, tragedy, and love is gripping at every turn.  My sister has made me promise to tell her when I find a book I don't 'figure out' ahead of time.  Well, this is the first in a long time!  I had close guesses, but the climax surprised even me!  Needless to say, I loved this book.  It is even better than John Hart's previous book, The Last Child.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

this sounds like a book with a lot of twists and suspense! Sounds like a complicated plot, but I think it will be interesting. I'm going to see if I can get it on audio through the library so I can listen on my iPod. Crooked Letter Crooked Letter is turning out really good! I'm down to the end. Had to stop early tonight, b/c they were getting to a key part and my shift was almost up. Didn't want to stop right in the middle of a big scene. But I'm sure interested in learning the outcome!

Valerie said...

How do you read so much so fast?!?! I can't wait to read this one. Please keep blogging about your books.